Non-invasive techniques are in line with the principles of the Three Rs (Replacement, Reduction, Refinement) in animal research. By using non-invasive methods, researchers can obtain valuable data without resorting to more invasive procedures, reducing animal distress and the number of animals needed for experiments.
Ugo Basile, as a manufacturer of preclinical research instruments, provides specialized tools that are designed to accurately and reliably measure non-invasively blood pressure in small animals, aiding researchers in obtaining high-quality data for their studies.
Invasive blood pressure measurements are not applicable to many areas of cardiovascular research, as many diseases and conditions, such as hypertension, heart disease, and stroke, are closely linked to changes in blood pressure, when its measurement requires surgical intervention. Researchers need accurate and non-invasive methods to study these conditions in animal models to better understand their mechanisms, progression, and potential treatments.
In addition to what described above, invasive methods frequently require anesthesia, which affects blood pressure, cause stress and influence experimental outcomes, Limiting the translational value of the studies. Moreover, animal welfare and ethical considerations are more and more important, as well as limiting the risk of complications such as infections, tissue damage, bleeding.
From the accuracy standpoint non-invasive methods are more adaptable to the different animal sizes variation and their versatility allows to compensate also for anatomical differences.
Multi function, non-invasive recorder
A reliable pressure generator, provides smooth and stepless pressure build-up.
A “Riva Rocci sphygmomanometer” provides a precise recording of the systolic and diastolic blood pressure. It works by transmitting pressure to the tail cuff to obtain accurate systolic and diastolic pressure readings that are digitally presented in 10 mm Hg steps. The animal pulse rate can be assessed in real time by a pulse rate counter, which picks the signal from the pulse transducer.
The Ugo Basile non-invasive Blood Pressure system combines functionality of multiple systems in a single turn-key, stand-alone solution thanks to:
- A pressure generation-pressure monitoring system
- A pulse amplifier
- A thermal-array analog and digital recording unit
- Pulse rate measuring and recording
- Microprocessor controlled functions to self-diagnosis, calibration, signal filtering, signal storage.
- Wide range of tail transducer sizes (4-18 mm) adapts to small to medium sized animals (mice-dogs).
- Internal memory and PC output (BNC already amplified).
- Can be connected to popular data acquisition systems including our DataCapsule-Evo Recorder
- A mouse or rat restrainer is provided with each package.
- Optional animal restrainers by Ugo Basile are available featuring conical “muzzle” for confining the head, availability in 4 different diameters to fit various animal sizes with telescope-adjustable length, a quick fit/release back lid with an ample U-shaped tail slot, ventilation slots and selection of heat conductive materials to guarantee body heat dissipation. Ask for details.
- Optional rodent temperature controlled heating boxes available for rats and mice. The air temperature can be set from room temperature to 39.9°C, in 0.1°C steps.